New Poll

Fossil Rants: School (High School)
Fossil
 Posted: Aug 19 2016, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Owner

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

We all know, we've all been or are there, school, for the most part, sucks. You need it, but it still sucks. This rant will be mostly about high school. This isn't coming from an angry student that failed a test or had something bad happen, it's what I've always thought.

So where to start, hmmm. So you walk into school, new year, the first week, easy! But then it really begins, here we go.

Bad teachers: Ok I'm not talking about the ones that punish fairly, no, I mean the ones that freak out about every little thing. For example, if someone is having a full conversation, yeah yell at them for disruption, but some teachers yell at people for making a quick comment to their friend. Or if you forget your pencil one day and they freak out, even if you never forgot it before. We have a life outside school, we aren't robots to do your papers, nobody thinks. People forget things, it's not the end of the world. If you forget every day, you need to have a system sure, but once every few months shouldn't be punished. We are only humans.

Homework: Studying for a test? Ok. Making me do more work after spending 6 hours doing it and taking more time out of my personal time? No, and homework doesn't teach anything, it's more likely to have cheating students since nobody can see them search it up and homework teaches nothing. "Oh it helps you memorize" no, it's never helped me memorize, if you need to memorize you can study it and have an option. I'm here, I never need to study and I'm getting a's on testing, only getting low grades cuz homework, it doesn't help anyone. Study if you need to, don't if you don't, all this homework is just wasting time of people that don't need to study.

Stress: "But high school students dont get stressed" shh. Yeah, we do, surveys show more stressed than adults. What do you do at a job? The same thing, sure it varies with jobs and there is still stress, but are you learning new things every week and being told your future depends on this? Unless you get promoted, usually not. We are stressed, so many subjects, so many tests, due dates, homework, grades, add a social life, growing, dating, we are stressed is my point. Too stressed over things that may not even matter much in our future.

They say it gets worse: Best years of your life? Depends on the person's life. And they say and make it so it gets harder and worse. So you are teaching kids life gets worse as time goes on. Umm, no, you will have ups and downs in life, but the future will almost always be better, even if you go through bad events, you usually heal from them and you are always a better person than you were before.

Summer reading: Ok, you just crossed the line. Our school gets graded on if we read books. First of all, intelligence isn't whether you wasted time reading a book you hate. Second, summer is OUR time, no teachers, no textbooks, freedom to be completely social and chill and give our brains a break. Reading a fictional book will not teach me ANYTHING helpful for my life. Especially one I don't care about. 2 more things left.

Laziness vs not trying: I've been called lazy because I didn't do homework before. No, I am hardworking, if I actually care about what I'm doing. I'll work hard in a relationship, or to be a good friend, or to do my job, or to keep pets, etc, because I care about these things. I couldn't care less about homework I'll forget in 2 months.

Useless classes: Science classes. They need to be electives, unless you wanna be a scientist, you don't need them, you wanna be a scientist? Take em, but if not we shouldn't be forced to take em. At least math and english and such can be applied to many different jobs.

You never learn anything useful: Let's see, I'll leave high school not knowing how to pay bills, how to buy a house, how to do a job interview, etc. But man I'm glad I learned how fast a ball falls to the ground in physics class. You are taught to memorize things for a test, then 2 months later you forget. I just finished freshman year and I remember, pretty much nothing besides a few random facts I could learn by watching youtube or something. I learned everything I need in elementary and middle, now I'm using high school to practice being more social and come out of my shell, that's it. I'm forgetting everything I learn, i mean memorize, in classes.

So that's my little rant , reply http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

--------------------
Hi guys, I am the owner! Feel free to ask me or any of the moderators for help!

user posted image

Jurassic World: Vivosaurs- http://tyrannosaurtalk.jcink.net/index.php?act=ST&f=18&t=235
PM
Website
^
EvokeDragon
 Posted: Sep 6 2016, 02:28 AM
Quote Post

New Fighter

Group: Member
Member No.: 39

This is coming from a college student:

You know how they say it is much harder and only gets worse? They're telling the exact opposite of the truth to make you dread the future. Highschool is a brutal point between the complexity of college and the outdated methods of elementary. Once you get through and get into college, everything becomes so much more free. More time, less homework, longer classes but only 1 or 2 a day, pretty much no penalty for missing a day. It makes you wonder why highschool is the way it is. Elementary has at least some redeeming qualities.

Highschool seems like it shouldn't even exist with how bad the system is, but it's not without its reasoning. The idea behind it is to try and teach a wider variety, this is meant to give you an idea of what you would like to study in college. Not like the college system is any more efficient, but its learning system is on point unlike Highschool's more barbaric approach. I get why everyone hates it.

Highschools offer BRIDGE programs (I think those are widespread), where you can get some workplace experience, all made to give you the general idea of how different workplaces are. If your highschool has a cafeteria, it's usually run by the cullinary students (I did it once, great workplace experience if a little stressful).

tl;dr Highschool is a college guide and gives you the required minimum skills in Grade 12. It has an outdated teaching method however.

This post has been edited by EvokeDragon: Sep 10 2016, 05:02 PM
PM
Email Poster
^
Lepa
 Posted: Sep 8 2016, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

あはははは!

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Fossil @ Aug 19 2016, 10:17 PM)
I learned everything I need in elementary and middle

lmfao, good one

--------------------
user posted image
"To rid this world of evil... I will become... the hammer... OF JUSTICE! "
PM
^
shifty serpent
 Posted: Sep 9 2016, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

New Fighter

Member No.: 32

Howdy~ Fellow sophomore here to weigh in

You do have some valid points. These issues (mostly the necessity of certain classes) were recently a topic of debate in my English class. I actually had to argue FOR optional core classes, but that wasn't my opinion - I'm here with that now though, presented in wall-of-text form!

(sorry about the length of this reply though aaaaa!)

user posted image

Bad teachers: If you aren’t supposed to be talking in class, then yes of course the teacher’s going to get onto you for talking!! Honestly maybe I have an easier time with this because I don’t talk to anyone ever but like… follow classroom rules, friend! Enforcing classroom rules does not constitute a bad teacher!

And even the smallest peep can be a disruption!! Not for you maybe, but for someone else me quietly whispering to my friend “hey Sam, deez nuts” when they’re trying to concentrate could be like THROWING A BASKETBALL AT THEIR Z SCALE TRAIN OF THOUGHT

Yes, there are things in students’ lives besides school, but you still have a responsibility to do your schoolwork and be prepared. Believe me, I get that we all have off days - trust me, I’m far from perfect, haha - but in a way, I see getting in trouble for not having something in school as preparation for the Real World ™, where being unprepared will have a lot more negative consequences than a little schoolman salt.

Homework: If it doesn’t help you memorize, then well, that’s just you - you seem to somehow grasp all the material the first time around, and good on you! But for others, it’s a huge help. I mean, I easily aced everything freshman year, but then sophomore year rolled around and I got dunked on by all my classes because of that same “Oh, I don’t need it!” mentality. Now I make sure to study, and that fixed my grades right up. You might think you don’t need the extra practice homework gives you, but there’s nothing to lose from doing it!

There IS, on the other hand, definitely something to lose from not doing it. For one, all those lost points add up after a while - you yourself said you’re getting low grades because you don’t do your homework. No matter how well you do on tests, if you’re missing hundreds of points because of homework, you’re going to have bad grades! Also, if you’re not doing homework, you’re missing out on a lot of valuable practice. It’s all about reinforcing concepts you learned in class and increasing your understanding of them. Have you maybe considered that’s why you forget the material so quickly?

Not doing homework also makes you out to be really irresponsible. Not doing it because you don’t want to is, well, exactly that - irresponsible! If you want to succeed in life, sometimes you have to do things you don’t like. Being able to do that is very, very important if you want to get anywhere!

Stress: Who… says that high schoolers don’t get stressed?? I’ve never heard that statistic before, but as a high school student with friends in high school and friends who have GRADUATED from high school I can definitely say yeah, it’s stressful. But school does matter in the future. It matters a whole lot! What you do in school shapes your future. School teaches us a lot of valuable information, and all those tasks help us become more responsible and prepare us for having a job and supporting ourselves - which, from what I’ve heard from my older friends, is FAR more stressful than high school.

They say it gets worse: I don’t know about "worse," but from what I’ve heard from a whole bunch of super cool adults it gets harder. Which is why you need school! To prepare you for that!!!

Summer reading: I’ve never had to do summer reading, and I really love reading, but I can definitely get where you’re coming from. It sounds like a pain in the butt to have to do schoolwork during your long-awaited break. I know I’ve been pushing this a lot - probably too much aaa - but that’s another lesson in responsibility. They’re not using that assignment to determine intelligence - it’s all about being responsible, managing your time wisely, and getting things done! That’s what they want from you. Sure, the content of the book might not be helpful, but the skills you’re building by completing that assignment will certainly help you later on in life!

Laziness vs. not trying:

I uh

la·zy
ˈlāzē/
adjective
unwilling to work or use energy.

user posted image

hm

Not doing your homework is irresponsible and lazy (by dictionary definition), simple as that. Being hardworking is doing something even when it’s the last thing you want to do because you need to. And as for not caring, well… you should probably care more. Homework is much more important than you seem to think!

Useless classes: I might be a little biased here because science is one of my favorite subjects, but no no no it’s very important! You learn lots of things that can help you in your everyday life. It also serves as a foundation of learning that future courses can build off of and gives you enough of a background that you can easily learn more if you need to. Pretty much all occupations use concepts from science.

You never learn anything useful:

user posted image

Objection! School teaches you so many important things. Look beyond the purely academic stuff - you’re also learning important lessons and building skills that will help you succeed in life. School prepares you for success!

“I learned everything I need in elementary and middle, now I'm using high school to practice being more social and come out of my shell, that's it.”

“You'll hardly learn how to spell in highschool, your English will improve from social interaction, video games, and TV far more than from highschool.”

Yeah, you go right ahead and try to get a job with an elementary school education. I’m sure your employers will be VERY impressed when you show them you can add two plus two and sing the alphabet :T

In all seriousness though, that’s a ridiculous claim. You’re not going to get anywhere without at the very LEAST some high school education!

And as for the three mediums Evoke mentioned, they can supplement learning, but they are by no means suitable substitutes. High school English classes go into the subject in depth - more so than middle and elementary school classes, and certainly more than television, video games, or social interactions, which are primarily for entertainment.

Bwah okay thanks for reading this through, I'm sorry this turned into an essay! Here's my final take: School teaches you much more than just academic things, and stuffing you full of facts isn't the point of education! It teaches you to be flexible, responsible, and hardworking. You also learn lots of valuable life skills that prepare you for the future. It might suck now, but you'll be glad you did it!

--------------------
the sky is falling
PM
Email Poster
^
Fossil
 Posted: Sep 10 2016, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

Owner

QUOTE (shifty serpent @ Sep 10 2016, 03:32 AM)
[color=#df3570]

Bad teachers: If you aren’t supposed to be talking in class, then yes of course the teacher’s going to get onto you for talking!! Honestly maybe I have an easier time with this because I don’t talk to anyone ever but like… follow classroom rules, friend! Enforcing classroom rules does not constitute a bad teacher!

Ok so first I just wanna say, I think I left something out here. I mean, yes if you shouldn't be talking then you just shouldn't. If a teacher tells me stop, yeah fine, I'll stop, I made myself sound liek a chatterbox lol but I just wanna say little things now and then. It's when the teacher lectures you on one little whisper and then stops the whole class for it. First, it puts you on the spot, and second, it holds up the class. Should you have been talking in the first place, no, but adding to that wasted time isn't helping. Now if the student keeps it up over the year then yelling may be needed, but the first time, it shouldn't happen.

Also there are some teachers that aren't even mean or yell much or anything, it's just that they don't teach you anything. Last year we had a teacher that we never learned anything in the class, even those of us that paid attention barely learned a thing, people told her about this and she didn't seem to try changing her system, I don't remember why we weren't learning, especially since last year I was really shy and all I really could do was pay attention to class.

Now, about the other stuff I may not have covered or countering your explanations http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Bathroom Breaks- Ok, I have to use the bathroom. I am a human being. It's nature, so making us wait for someone to come back or not letting us go at all during a class because the teacher says so is a problem. I hate teachers that say "The bathroom is a privilege" No, no it's not, it's a right. So some people go out and hang out with their friends, k then, let them fail. Let them see those F's and realize that they need to stop or let them say "I don't care" and then they'll regret it when they are punished by the school or their parents. We shouldn't have people like them stopping those of us that actually have to use that bathroom. Talking? I can control that. Doing work? I can control that. If I have to use the bathroom I HAVE TO GO. And the thing is, when a teacher says finish your work first, yeah I'll finish it, probably get it wrong and won't absorb any info from it because all my mind is thinking about is the fact that when this paper is full, I get to use the bathroom.

Whole classes being punished- For 2 people. Why do the people that never did anything get punished for 2 or 3 idiots, or even if most of the class are misbehaving, why do people that didn't do anything have to do this punishment too. Now honestly, this hasn't happened since middle school, but I'm sure some high school teacher will be like this. You can't control other people, you just can't. Can you ask them to stop? Yeah sure, most likely they won't stop though, especially if you don't know them.

Useless Classes- back to this again, thing is I love biology. It won't help me as far as I know right now, but I still find it interesting. But this is taking up a class that could be more helpful, you know it. Sciences should be optional, because right now the only thing they help you in is if you are a scientist, maybe one unlikely situation now and then it can help, but other than that, not really gonna help. See you say I'm leaving learning responsibility, this is true, but I can't be responsible for a house if I don't know how to buy or pay bills for one. That's the stuff I need, I don't need to know how fast a pencil rolls across a table (physics).

Also I know High School is needed in life, I'm not saying I'm gonna drop out or anything, I'm just stating things that annoy me about it.

--------------------

user posted image

Jurassic World: Vivosaurs- http://tyrannosaurtalk.jcink.net/index.php?act=ST&f=18&t=235
PM
Website
^
EvokeDragon
 Posted: Sep 10 2016, 05:01 PM
Quote Post

New Fighter

Member No.: 39

QUOTE (shifty serpent @ Sep 9 2016, 10:32 PM)
And as for the three mediums Evoke mentioned, they can supplement learning, but they are by no means suitable substitutes. High school English classes go into the subject in depth - more so than middle and elementary school classes, and certainly more than television, video games, or social interactions, which are primarily for entertainment.
[/color]

A good thing to look up would be tangential learning, I mentioned mediums that are good at this and it is hardly a bad concept. Think of schooling as a bunch of weirdly shaped rocks in a jar, and what you can learn through tangential learning is sand to fill the gaps.

English classes for example don't teach you words, they teach you structure. Through enjoyable mediums you will learn new words to fill in the gaps. Got the rocks, got the sand. The problems arise when you don't have any sand. My best 4 classes in highschool were led by teachers who believed in the idea of making education enjoyable.

- Keeping to the example of English, after a ton of lessons we would watch a movie and be given the homework of writing a review on the movie, we would be graded on our sentence structure.

Here's a good video on the topic of education, made by a teacher no less. It brings up a lot of good points on the flaws of the current education system and how it can improve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vsCAM17O-M

I also deleted large chunks of my post as I wrote it at 5am and realize that not all colleges are like my fancy advanced technology college, and not all highschools are like my more socially focused Catholic one.
PM
Email Poster
^
TDD25
 Posted: Sep 10 2016, 07:47 PM
Quote Post

The Rhynosaur (Co Owner)

Member No.: 21

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/smilies/emot-siren.gif WEE WOO WEE WOO https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/smilies/emot-siren.gif

HEY FELLAS HOW YA DOING HERE WE GO ANOTHER TDD SESSION

So let's start of with teachers. Are there good teachers? Yes. Are there bad teachers? Yes. Of course, there always are and always will be. But there's something you have to realize about teachers. They have to teach a class. Which, in order to do, they have to have their students listening and paying attention. You can't just say "oh well if the student doesn't want to learn leave them alone." Often times, that distracts the rest of the class. Sure some teachers jump quickly whenever they hear someone talking, but four years has told me that if you don't shut them down early it gets really loud because everyone else starts talking. As for forgetting things, your school supplies are the equivalent of your work uniform. You're not going to show up to your accounting job in a tank top and no pants on. And trust me, when that time comes, there won't be anyone around to loan you a suit and tie. So while yes, you shouldn't be suspended for forgetting your pencil, you still need to be told not to forget it. You're the one who forgot it, not your teacher, so you kinda gotta suck it up and listen to them. Your boss wouldn't be reprimanding you for not wearing pants, they'd be handing you your severance papers.

On to the subject of discipline, again, a teacher has to maintain order. I say this having actually taught. Might not be school, but swimming lessons get pretty similar in terms of discipline. You say that oh well a teacher shouldn't call you out except sometimes they have to. Not everyone's an angel and a lot of times it takes that peer acknowledgement of wrongdoing to actually get a student to listen. One thing I've learned is that it's important to set the ground rules on the very first day. If your first impression of a teacher is that they're really lax, you're going to goof off in class a lot more than a teacher who makes it clear the first day that they will not tolerate their rules being broken. By calling someone out, yes you're putting them on the spot, which again is sometimes necessary, and yes you're taking up class time, but it's class time invested in not having this interruption again. A sharp reprimand that results in no more interruptions will always take away less class time than not reprimanding them and letting continuous interruptions arise.

As for punishing the whole class for the wrongdoings of one or two students, are you referring to keeping the class inside for recess or something? (Which by the way no one gets that in high school just letting you know) But the point of a group reprimand is to not unfairly punish individuals, but to show you that you are a class whether you like it or not, and if you work together this won't happen. It sets an example for the rest of the class and lets the students help prevent each other from performing actions that would result in reprimands.

And for bathroom breaks? Hold it, dude. Most teachers will keep you in because there would only be maybe 10 minutes in class left before you have passing period in which to go to the bathroom. Yes all people have to go to the bathroom, but really, you can go to the bathroom before class or after class. This is a sixty minute class, not a six hour road trip. If you ever really, really need to go so badly that you're about to wet yourself, then just get yourself up and out of the classroom and go to the bathroom. Trust me, the cleanup involved is not worth it to the teacher to force you to stay in the class. But you should respect when teachers tell you not to go to the bathroom during their class. Plan your bathroom breaks around it, do what you have to. But the bathroom is a privilege, because you are given ample time to go to the restroom during passing periods between classes, and if you aren't, plenty of teachers would be understanding about that. But bottom line is, it's their class, and just because you feel like going to the bathroom during that period doesn't mean that's your only option. Going before you go to school does wonders.

"Oh homework helps you memorize" says no one ever. Homework isn't about memorization, and on that subject, neither is school. If you're focusing only on memorizing things you're doing school wrong, pal. You want to learn the concepts of the class. Let's take math for example. If you memorize 2x + 1 when x =4 is 9, sure okay now you know what 2x + 1 when x=4 is 9. But what happens if on your test you get 7x + 6 when x=5? You won't know how to do it if all you did was "study" the answer to one question. You want to integrate the process into your mind, and that's what homework's for. Practice makes perfect as they say, and while it may not be perfect you'll be much more prepared for that test than you will just by reading your textbook five times in an hour.

You know what else was never said ever? "High school students don't get stressed." Of course they get stressed, but your argument that when you're an adult you don't learn something new every week and are told your future depends on it is complete garbage. When you get a job and you'll have to eventually, you'll realize that you are still learning things, like how to improve your work, or how to customize it towards a certain person. And your future depending on it is heavily implied, it doesn't have to be told to you. If you slack off at work you get fired, and then you have no income and what happens to your future then hmmm??? Yeah, we have classes, tests, due dates, homework, grades, social lives, but adults have their jobs, projects, deadlines, overtime, performance reviews, and guess what? Social lives. You can't even begin to crack the tip of the iceberg on how silly it is to compare the two.

And like you said, worse depends on the person, but you have to remember the nostalgia factor. Trust me, in fifty years high school will have been the best days of your life. It's as natural a phenomenon as going to the bathroom.

Hey you know what ELSE never happens ever? Your school getting graded on summer reading. Know what ELSE never gets said ever? "You are intelligent because you read a book you don't care about." None of these things does anyone say ever because that's just ridiculous. Summer reading, as flawed as it is, is aimed at making sure you don't fall behind over the summer. You love studies so much, they've shown that you lose a large percentage of what you learned without some sort of reinforcement over the summer. Summer reading needs fixing for sure, but it's not there to tell you how smart you are or rank your school. By the way, guess what? Summer ISN'T YOUR TIME. Summer is a break for sure, but guess what? You don't GET SUMMER later on in life. Giving your brains a break, again, has been shown to be detrimental over a long period of time, such as the three months of summer. As for the rest of your argument, you STILL don't have any teachers, you STILL don't have any textbooks, you STILL have time to be social, and you STILL have time to chill. A few pages a day and you'll be done with the book in no time. It's nobody's fault but your own that you waited to read it and then have to spent two straight days doing it. Sure reading a fiction book won't have very much of an impact on you twenty years from now but it'll help you on your next year's English test and the inevitable test on it. And you say "Oh well if I care about it I'll read it” and let me tell you. No you won't. My school tried to assign popular fiction to the students to get that exact thing to happen. And guess what? It didn't work. So either way, it'll be a book you don't want to read. A few pages a day buddy.

Laziness is not wanting to do stuff. Whether you care about it or not. End of discussion.

Science classes aren't useless classes. The goal is to get a well rounded education. Many students don't know what they want to study in college, and even out of those that do, plenty switch majors partway through their education. Math and English can indeed be applied to many jobs, but science is important too. Yes, you don't need to know how fast your pencil is rolling across the table, but let's turn your pencil into your car. Now, you do want to know how many seconds you have to hit the brakes and prevent yourself from driving off a cliff, now don't you. Knowledge of chemistry will tell you what all those "weird ingredients" are. Biology teaches you how your body works so if you feel pain you can think back to what you were just doing and know if it's a lactic acid cramp or something hospital worthy. Not to mention, think of all the jobs that involve science? Any businessperson is likely to run into science at some point, whether it have to do with cars or oil, farms or laboratories. Sure, some occupations may never require science classes, but you'll want to know that if I tell you you've been drinking dihydrogen monoxide you haven't been poisoned. Besides, what classes are more helpful? I mean according to you and your one year of high school experience, there are no useful classes. They teach you nothing, right?

WRONG. Math and Economics teach you that your interest rate on your credit card is way too damn high and how often they're compounding and charging you more money. Professionals say the best way to understand law is to have learned English, because law is all about how the words are interpreted. Now you don't have to worry about that contract you just signed because you read it and know what it means. Not to mention, sure, you don't have a class on bill paying, house buying, or job interviews, but there are classes like accounting that teach you money management, and English shows you how to convince people of your opinion, which is exactly what you're doing in a job interview. School is the basis for picking up those skills. And again, there's nothing you learn by memorizing? Of course not. You're not supposed to memorize, you're supposed to understand. You're thinking about school in the wrong way, and yes, if you focus on memorizing rather than learning you will come away with nothing.

And what's that about not learning how to spell in English? Students got tired of spelling tests in elementary school. Yes, English teaches you structure, and yes, you can pick up things from other media. But don't think for a second that you can go into a business meeting with your memo saying "lol i waz up 4 5 hrs last nite & im tired :C" Because let me tell you if you show up with that your butt is out the door the next minute. Social interactions, TV, and video games can add certain words and phrases that you wouldn't have known otherwise, but they're also full of slang and abbreviations that aren't applicable in a professional environment. Not to mention, you can't get basic reading ability from something that says "basic reading ability required" on the back of the box.

But you know that's just me it's not like my four years of high school matter. I learned all I needed to in elementary and middle school, right?

--------------------
Head Admin of the Fossil Fighters Wiki, stop on by if you're looking for info or want to help contribute to the collective FF knowledge.
PM
Website
^
Fossil
 Posted: Sep 13 2016, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Owner

....Except we get a test or quiz on summer reading every year at my high school :T

Also, my point on "I'll read it if I care about it" is more about just reading in general, I'm not a big book reader, but if I have prior interest in a book (such as when I read Jurassic Park) I'll read it.

And here's the thing about Science classes, we have been taking them since Middle School, if an interest doesn't spark in those first few years, chances are the student isn't interested in science. So if that's what your saying, we should have science as needed, then make it an elective in a certain grade and start learning a new class as an elective that may help spark interest.

By the whole class punishment, I mean going to lunch late or extra homework, while it's not that annoying now if it happens, it didn't annoy me in middle school when we had recess, but now it's more of a little annoying thing, the concept annoys me more than the punishments. And here's the thing, you cannot control some people, you seriously just can't. Asking the class clown to stop isn't going to get you anything. If you are at work and the guy next to you keeps fooling around and not doing his job, he gets in trouble/yelled at, not you. So while I partly see what your saying, I'm not seeing how it connects to the real world, besides maybe being a manager, except when you are a manager you are in charge of the employees and can punish them, you can't punish a fellow student.

So teaching students that if they are part of something and they think something isn't right in it, they should just sit back and accept it is right? Don't think so, I can kinda see what your saying to a point though.

--------------------

user posted image

PM
Website
^
TDD25
 Posted: Sep 13 2016, 03:27 PM
Quote Post

The Rhynosaur (Co Owner)

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Fossil @ Aug 19 2016, 09:17 PM)
Our school gets graded on if we read books.

Apparently you either don't realize you didn't say what you meant or you meant something that is completely wrong and are changing it now because you said that your school gets graded and your school doesn't get graded, you do.

Like I said, no one gets recess anymore, and class punishments like that are rare in high school.

But to say that you can't control people has no bearing on this. With a defeatist attitude like that, you shouldn't be a teacher. If it's your job to teach the class, then the class better listen. You can't just say well I can't control people so I shouldn't punish anyone. That just gives the greenlight for everyone to go berserk because you're known as a pushover teacher. When you ask the class clown to stop and they don't, then you start ramping it up. There are legitimate school reprimands for disturbing a class. If you're not going to listen and learn, why even be there in the first place.

As for how it pertains to the real world, no one works as individuals anymore. Whether in business, science, teaching, everyone works on a team. And when one person slips up, the whole group gets dragged down. In the same way, you as a class are a group. This isn't teaching you to "sit back and accept it" it's teaching you to do the opposite and help each other out to avoid those punishments. As an employee, you can still help make sure your fellow employees don't do anything they shouldn't. News flash, if you knew about something and didn't report it and that gets found out, you're often in just as much trouble as the perpetrators. And if the guy at work next to you is fooling around and not doing his job, that distracts you, and even though he gets reprimanded it affects your productivity and it's in your own best interests to get him to stop as well as his own.

Long story short, the system you're preaching is actually the one that shows students they can just sit back and accept it when another of their fellows is going to get in trouble, while by teaching them they are a group that rises and falls together, you get them to look out for each other so the teacher doesn't have to punish anyone.

--------------------
Head Admin of the Fossil Fighters Wiki, stop on by if you're looking for info or want to help contribute to the collective FF knowledge.
PM
Website
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Discussion | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Reply to Topic
Fast Reply
Start New Topic
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Tyrannosaur Talk @ ThirdOwl
Fossil Fighters © Nintendo (fan site, not affiliated)