Reply to Topic
Start New Topic
New Poll

Dexter Rants About FF1, WARNING: This is a bash.
Dexter
 Posted: Sep 26 2015, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

The Prince of FossilDig INC.

Group: Member
Member No.: 20

user posted image
Alright, I'm gonna be ravaged for my opinion, but... I personally HATE the first game. Frontier is much better than that... compilation of awful derailment.
user posted image
Frontier has a story. It's an alright one. But don't act like Champions was a masterpiece, or that FF1's was actually goof. It isn't. The story was deus ex machinas everywhere and more out of control than a trainwreck. The characters? Lacking tons of personality and any sight of an arc for development. Rosie is the only one with a personality, and it's one note and cliché. The dinaurians were 100% unnecessary. This would be fine, if they actually contributed something. But all they did was make the story even longer, even worse, and way too outlandish to the point of it not fitting. Seriously, the game is about fighting with and reviving dinosaurs on an island. Where do aliens or a space tadpole fit into that? With ZongaZonga, his existence was a driving force of the plot, and made sense when partnered with the game’s setting, an archipelago with a slew of ancient history. Blackraven’s world domination fits, because the locations of the settings are all around the world. Frontier’s characters basically had as much depth as Champions, give or take a few. Champions's characters aren't any gamechangers, but they are more than satisfactory enough when it comes to arcs and traits.
user posted image
As for the gameplay, Frontier still stands at the worst, but FF1 is no gem. In Champions, the gameplay is simple, which allows the group it is aimed at to enjoy the game as much as the adults. FF1 has EXCRUTIATING gameplay, to the point where as a small 10 year old, I had to take two, two-month-long hiatuses. Two months. Champions, I was able to beat the game within 20 hours worth, basically only took a few days. And I was rusty. Frontier only took 30 hours worth to beat, so around five to seven days. FF1 took me 70 hours worth. As a ten year old, that is around three weeks of time. FF1's difficulty and puzzling battle system just isn't suitable for the aimed demographic.

Also, while everyone is complaining about the Frontier vivosaur designs, they fail to remove the nostalgia goggles to see how AWFUL the original FF1 designs were. Of course, there was a good amount of tolerable or decent ones, but many were a bright, colorful harassment on the eyes.

Now, Frontier definitely has problems that makes it below Champions. But, FF1 was definitely the worst. It’s understandable, since it was the first game in the franchise, but it doesn’t give the game a pass into the good category. The fact that people praise FF1 like a golden goose, and even more, those rancid dinaurians like golden geese, just boggles me.
user posted image
Sorry, I just really needed to get this out of my system...
user posted image
Let's see how many nostalgia-blind people attack me for this.
user posted image
PM
^
PaPierre
 Posted: Sep 26 2015, 11:46 PM
Quote Post

Owner

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 7

Well...first off let me introduce myself as this is the first time we've "met" here online; secondly let me say that it is nice to see others who've actually played the original.

No need to be inflammatory here in these forums, however. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I've seen forums go the way of the litter bin because too often its members were rather quick to set up scenarios where needless arguments were encouraged [their userbases grew to be unwelcoming and oversensitive]. I'm not looking forward to that happening here, okay? So let's keep things respectful and not set up the atmosphere where those who will reply are offended.

Me, personally, I do not like to be critical {hypercritical} of things. I liked each game of the Fossil Fighters franchise for the positives they each brought to the table.

Hope to see ya around more fellow 'Fighters groupie. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

--------------------
Using Spinax for all BB Bandit activities since 2009.
...you have a nice day.
PM
Website
^
Fossil
 Posted: Oct 1 2015, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

Owner

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

I must agree, try not to make this turn into a big flame war, if you do that it should be fine, keep it as a discussion, not a huge flame war.

Now I personally love all the games, but you are entitled to your opinion. I love the first game, but I admit I would pick up champions over it for gameplay, the dinaurians however are something I loved about the first game. I think people like them so much since they are a somewhat original concept as far as I know and were very important and likeable characters to most and there are so many directions future games could take them (which they havent done anything else with em yet :/)

Also, Frontier helped the first 2 games popularity, compared to the other games, frontier's gameplay was horrible, which makes the other two games seem better. I personally hope they continue frontier style games as a spinoff series and the main series like FFC and FF, so everyones happy.

I agree about the designs, but some like Mapo now look horrible in this when it looked fine before, but some like V-raptor are much better!

I'm not going to join the discussion, just wanted to share an opinion quickly and warn you about flame wars.Any people that disagree please if you post here be nice about it, I don't want any flame wars. I don't like bashing games I like, but feel free to continue this discussion with others. I just really want to let you know about the flame war thing, as threads like that can lead to it, but feel free to continue the discussion.

--------------------
Hi guys, I am the owner! Feel free to ask me or any of the moderators for help!

user posted image

Jurassic World: Vivosaurs- http://tyrannosaurtalk.jcink.net/index.php?act=ST&f=18&t=235
PM
Website
^
SliferTheSkyDragon
 Posted: Oct 7 2015, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Pokemon Moderator

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Reading all of this I agree with one thing, FF1 is not a gem. There is something I'd like to discuss though. Fossil Fighters does have a story, it also has some side stories but let's focus on the main story. I personally like FF1 story over the others because here's a very important thing it does, it explains not only what happened and why the BB Brigade are stealing these seemingly worthless idols and how vivosaurs even could exist. Fossil Fighters gives you a lot of back plot and forward plot. It even goes far to say how the Fossil Fighter universe came to exist. Don't believe me? Let's focus on the Secret Island. It's a ruined space ship and if you didn't scroll through all the dialogue, it tells you that Dinaurians were the first, they set seeds onto the earth in hopes that things would happen and new dinaurians would be there, but somehow we came to be due to a malfunction. Here's an evaluation of Dinaurians in a nutshell, they're a cross between dinosaurs and humans. I prefer this story compared to most because the characters and story were weird but funny and I could remember them. A lot was explained, back plot was added and a story line was formed. I like Fossil Fighters Frontier as a game and the game mechanics are good, it's not a gem either though. I personally don't like the story, it feels so alternate universe to its predecessors. Fossil Fighters Champions even has characters from Fossil Fighters, the DLC even literarily references you as the kid from FF1. Rosie's in there, and so are a few others. I've played a lot of Fossil Fighters Frontier and I don't see any reference to that, (though I'm only on the Black Raven sub, I'm accurate that's far in). Fossil Fighters and Fossil Fighters are considerable better in my opinion to Fossil Fighters Frontier based on their stories and wacky memorable characters.

--------------------
Oh you have a problem with someone? Why don't you just post a vague status about them.
~Slifer The Sky Dragon~
PM
Email Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Reply to Topic
Fast Reply
Start New Topic
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Tyrannosaur Talk @ ThirdOwl
Fossil Fighters © Nintendo (fan site, not affiliated)